The need for a new water supply for Union County’s Yadkin River Basin service area has been studied since 2004.
- 2004 – Rocky River Water Supply feasibility study completed
- 2005 – Water Supply Master Plan Draft
- 2008 – Eastern Water Supply Preliminary Engineering Report
- 2011 – Eastern Water Supply Feasibility Study, Project Partner Assessment and Comprehensive Water and Sewer Master Plan
- 2012 – 2013 – Interlocal Intake and Transmittal Agreement (Norwood-Union County) signed
- 2013-2017 – Environmental Impact Statement and Interbasin Transfer process completed
- 2017-2019 – Design and Permitting underway
- 2019-2021 – Construction phase
- 2022 – Yadkin Regional Water Supply Project comes online, providing a new water source for Union County
Twelve alternatives were considered prior to pursuing the Yadkin Regional Water Supply Project. Click below to read more about each option.
- Lake Tillery IBT
- Tuckertown Reservoir IBT option 2A and 2B
- Blewett Falls Lake IBT
- Main Stem Yadkin IBT
- Rocky River withdrawal in Union County
- Catawba River IBT Increase
- Catawba River IBT through interconnection with Charlotte Water
- Groundwater supply
- Demand management and conservation
- Direct potable reuse
- No action
- Water Returns to the Yadkin River
Lake Tillery alternative was chosen because this option provided a long term water source, was less costly, had less of an impact on the environment and had less of an impact on the lake needs such as hydropower, recreation and aesthetics.